Cottage House in Proboszczów 89


The Cottage House in Proboszczów, also known as “Kingfisher's Hut” was originally a weavers' house. It was built between 1790 and 1818. Through years of neglect it was brought to ruin. The current owners, Anna Staszewska-Bookes and Paul Brooks, visited it for the first time in 2014. They decided to save the building and set themselves the goal of restoring it to its original appearance using traditional building techniques and natural materials. The renovation took five years. The owners generally worked on their own, without access to electricity. Step by step they reconstructed the damaged half-timbered structure, the clay and lime walls and the most impressive element - the original roof covered with 19th-century tiles.